Thursday, November 5, 2009

World's Strictest Parents

As I was watching some TV for our sexual content assignment I came across this show called World's Strictest Parents and found it interesting so I watched it. It's like those shows where there are "troubled or problem teens" and they send 'em to boot camp, but in this show they send them to live with this family with strict parents to help shape up their attitudes and behaviors. This family they sent them to was ridiculous! The mom and dad were addressed as sir and maam out of respect. I'm not so sure that kind of respect is what I would want in my household. One of the kids that was sent to the house rebelled against the rule and said that "normal" people don't do that! And the parents were very firm in their belief that normal people said yes sir and no sir to the parents. WHAT?! Did I miss the boat, or do you really call your parents sir and maam? Mom and Dad work pretty well for me. Another thing they did was spy on their children to make sure they were exactly where they said they would be. They would literally hide in the trees and peek around. Another thing they did was rummage through all of their belongings so they would know exactly what they have, making it easy for them to tell if they would lie to them or not. What ever happened to granting kids some autonomy and trusting them a bit? If I lived in this household I would have been pushed SO far from those rules and also far from my parents. I will say that the family were very hard workers, the parents did display some love for their children sometimes, and they did have good values. I would definitely agree with most of their values, but they take it to the extreme in most of their behaviors. Very nice people, just a little crazy. I just wonder if that is reeeeally the best idea for shaping their attitudes and behaviors......and what people think when they watch this show! Are we promoting super strict parenting?! I hope people watch it and realize they need to do what works for their family and also see how these people are pretty extreme in a lot of behaviors.

No comments:

Post a Comment